Car accidents are often complex but become even more challenging to handle when more than one driver is responsible. 

So, what should you do if you suffered severe injuries in an accident and the fault is split between multiple parties, including you?  Who will pay for your damages? Will your insurance company reject your claim? These are just a few of the questions that victims of serious car accidents are left to contemplate. 

What to Do After an Accident You are Partially At Fault in Causing

Even if you think you may be partly at fault in an accident, a thorough investigation is important.  There may be factors you do not know about that can favorably affect the division of fault between the parties involved. The police report carries a great deal of weight. If appropriate, get a police report after an accident. Look around and take photos of the scene, debris in the roadway, important signs, and the vehicles. If there are any witnesses, get their contact information and call an experienced car accident attorney.

How is the Percentage of Fault Determined?

The state of Missouri follows the rule of pure comparative fault, meaning that all parties involved in a crash may recover compensation for damages, but the exact amount will be reduced according to their percentage of fault. For example, in an accident involving two at-fault parties, if one driver is 70% at fault and the other driver is 30% at fault, the less at-fault driver can recover compensation for 70% of their damages in the accident, while the other driver can recover compensation for 30% of their damages caused in the crash.

How a St. Louis Car Accident Lawyer Can Help

After an accident, the other party’s insurance company may try to get you to make an immediate statement at the scene of the accident to try to pin more blame in the accident on you than you actually may have had. You need to avoid speaking with the insurance company until after you have consulted an experienced car accident attorney. An attorney can make sure that your rights are protected, knows how to handle insurance companies, and can make sure that everything goes smoothly with your case.

Contact Wolfgram Law Today

Don’t delay – the longer you wait after an accident to consult an attorney, especially one in which you may have been partially at fault in causing, the more time the other party has to pin more blame in the accident on you. Let the knowledgeable, experienced St. Louis car accident attorneys at Wolfgram Law handle your case and recover the compensation you may be entitled to. Call or contact us today for a free consultation.